New Census data shows that like the rest of the country, Monroe County is aging.
The median age in Monroe County is 38.6, up from 38.5. The median age for the U.S. as a whole is 37.6, up from 37.5.
There are fewer children under the age of 18 in Monroe County:
- 2010: 168,699
- 2011: 165,902
- 2012: 163,561
- 2013: 162,356
That’s a drop of 4 percent, which will undoubtedly impact schools in coming years.
There are more people aged 65 and older in Monroe County:
- 2010: 103,594
- 2011: 105,740
- 2012: 109,732
- 2013: 112,935
That’s a 9 percent increase in the number of senior citizens in just a few years! This has major implications for housing, community design, medical care and other services.
But the number of Millennials is up 6 percent. People aged 20-34 in Monroe County:
- 2010: 149,113
- 2011: 153,716
- 2012: 155,980
- 2013: 158,239
This is more evidence to refute the “brain drain” theory. As for whether this group is procreating, perhaps they are waiting longer, which would help explain the drop in children.
Links of the Day:
– Syracuse University will decide the future of the Carrier Dome over the next two years.
– I’m surprised Rochester independent restaurants never challenged tax breaks for Wilmorite, as Syracuse restaurants are doing with Destiny USA.
– There’s little scientific evidence marijuana helps sick people – and it’s super hard to study whether it does.
– Heat and humidity will get so bad in the U.S., your outside activity may be severely limited.
– Sexual assault is terrible, but lower standards of proof on college campuses and a lack of due process for accused is troubling.
– More than three-quarters of conservatives say the poor “have it easy.”
– “If you live in a city, rent your home and have skipped both car ownership and parenthood, you’re in luck.”
– Dogtown has one of the best vegan hot dogs in the U.S., PETA says.