Falk shared an interesting idea during Saturday’s show. He says people shouldn’t spend one dime at the LPGA when it comes to town in August for its farewell tournament in Rochester. The LPGA is moving the Rochester event downstate, where it can make more money from sponsorships and television rights.
“Will (fans) support the tournament as well as we do here in Rochester? Absolutely not,” said Falk. “I for one am very upset with the LPGA for pulling the rug out from under our feet and moving the tournament. We’ve supported it better than any other city.”
Here’s what Falk suggests.
“If you haven’t bought your ticket, don’t buy a ticket, give that money to Camp Good Days. Send that to the charities. Watch it on TV, because the LPGA doesn’t deserve our support. The charities do. The volunteers do. But the LPGA? They don’t deserve us.”
Falk, who also owns a restaurant, had this to say about the LPGA’s customer service.
“You don’t lose a good customer to attract a better one. You keep a good customer and add a better one,” said Falk, who compared the LPGA to a woman telling her boyfriend she’s moving in with another guy who has a better house, but saying she’ll come back sometime. “Don’t worry, I’ve changed the locks.”
It’s kind of like what would happen if the Bills move to Toronto. The team automatically loses a fan base. Or maybe not? The LPGA took a gamble. Falk appears to be the first person to call the LPGA out publicly and say it’s not okay to take us for granted.
(Listen to podcast here. The LPGA discussion is about 40 minutes in.)
Links of the Day:
-The judiciary in Monroe County is a “sea of white.”
– I don’t think Erica Bryant should have asked this of suburban school superintendents, who do not have a say. But in doing so, she’s posing the question to the rest of us.
– It’s amazing to me that West Seneca is entertaining this proposal without first seeing what happens with Medley Centre in Irondequoit.
– Marijuana may be legal in two states, but elsewhere, people are still getting arrested on serious marijuana-related charges and the feds are still spending a lot of money fighting the war on weed.
– Do you like a good story? Read this one on a new firefighter’s wait for his first fire.
– A German stadium allows people to bring their couch onto the field to take in World Cup games.
Tweet of the Day:
— john_kucko (@john_kucko) June 22, 2014