More people are leaving the Rochester area than moving in. But births and immigrants are offsetting the population loss.

U.S. Census numbers out today show 749,606 people lived in Monroe County in 2013. That’s up barely 1 percent from 2010. Here’s how the numbers break down:

Total population change: 5,262

Births: 27,499

Deaths: 20,791

Immigrants coming here: 7,100

Residents moving to other places in U.S.: 8,449

Net migration: -1,349

The metropolitan Rochester area also has seen anemic growth. The population is 1,083,278, up .3 percent from 2010.

Population figures for 2013 in cities and towns are not available yet.

Here’s a map of population changes across the U.S. from 2012-2013. (The numbers I use above compare 2010-2013.) You can see Upstate New York is struggling.

– Why didn’t Ralph Wilson sell the Bills while he was alive? Taxes.

– Could state lawmakers get their own dormitory? That would simply hilarious.

– New York schools are the most racially segregatedespecially charter schools.

– A new data tool allows you to look up the percentage of students who attend college from each high school in New York.

– Rochester developer David Flaum has four Upstate casino sites in the works, not counting Henrietta.

– Rochester v. Miami. Who destroyed their downtown more in the name of parking?

19 Responses to Monroe County’s Population Ticks Up

1. March 27, 2014 at 9:03 am ikejames responds:

So this is county and city data? I would assume that the Rochester CBSA follows the same trend, but perhaps not. It would capture growth in Canandaigua and Victor. What’s the trend been over the last 20 years? Anemic growth isn’t a bad thing if we lose 3% of our population every year.

What does our peer group look like? The map itself shows evidence that the entire North East and parts of the mid-west are losing people to west of the Mississippi. There’s also the fracking boom in the Badlands….

Interesting stuff. There’s a lot going on.

The mega-city (Boston down to DC) just keeps getting bigger. I wonder how long that can be sustained?

• March 27, 2014 at 9:49 am Rachel Barnhart responds:

The map shows county data for 2012-2013.

I used percentage increases in the text of the blog for 2010-2013.

Metro Rochester includes Ontario, Livingston, Wayne, and parts of Orleans and Genesee, I believe.

2. March 27, 2014 at 9:19 am Ginny Maier responds:

Slightly faster than the national average of 0.7%. So, is the country’s growth rate anemic?

• March 27, 2014 at 9:48 am Rachel Barnhart responds:

The county’s growth rate actually was .7 percent between 2010 and 2013. The U.S. growth rate of .7 percent was between 2012 and 2013.

3. March 27, 2014 at 10:15 am Edward Richards responds:

The cancer that is high taxes is spreading.

4. March 27, 2014 at 10:50 am ikejames responds:

Taxes? I’m not certain you can make that argument based on the data. West Virginia is not a high tax state, and it has lost population. And the growth in California refutes the conclusion taxes deter growth.

Rachel, I read the 2010-2013 numbers. I asked regarding a larger window because that period only contains data for a slow economic recovery following the most catastrophic economic event in the last 75 years. I’m curious if the data reflects an economic recovery that may have taken root faster in some localities than in others.

Not to mention the fact that the housing market for most of that period was serious detriment to relocation. People were either underwater on their homes, or they were struggling to get a mortgage. I’m not arguing that this impacted Rochester in any specific way. What I’m saying is the three year window of data contains unique anomalies which may lead you to conclusions that aren’t accurate.
    (If you are surrounded by pine trees and that is all you are looking at you may conclude you are in a forest, when actually you’re in the alpine zone of a mountain.)

5. “New York schools are the most racially segregated” is kind of disingenuous. People’s living patterns are very segregated which leads to segregated schools. The charters are overwhelmingly in NYC and have focused on low income areas so reflect the make up of those neighborhoods. I think there’s advantages to school enrollment by location rather than bussing kids all over the place to achive some socioeconomic goal Achieving the socioeconimic mix is an admiral goal but maybe its better addressed with mixed income housing.

6. March 27, 2014 at 11:19 am theodore kumlander responds:

“To create a whole new system that’s even worse than what you’ve got really takes some effort,” said Gary Orfield, co-director of the Civil Rights Project and an author of the report.

This is the Charter School story. but do not worry after the charter school fad had faded away some new scam will take it’s place. after all this is America

7. March 27, 2014 at 11:20 am theodore kumlander responds:

A Dorm for state legislators. I can just imagine the trouble they will get into partying all night. I mean that’s what they did when they were in college.

• With hidden video cameras it could make a good reality show. Watch your politicians revert to freshman college behaviour like putting the sleeping guy’s hand in warm water. Hilarity ensues.

• March 28, 2014 at 11:09 am ikejames responds:

I’ve read stories about Lyndon Johnson back when Congressmen lived in dorms. He used the environment to negotiate and compromise both within and outside of his party.

8. March 27, 2014 at 11:25 am theodore kumlander responds:

More Casino’s!? It always makes me chuckle the Republicans who complain bitterly about the “Obama Economy” are the first suckers to line up and throw away their excess money gambling. Gambling is a equal opportunity vice women like it as much as men.

9. Count us among the 7,100 who moved in. We are ROC natives and moved back after 7 years in the sunbelt. It ain’t all it’s cracked up to be down there. Low taxes, sure. But abysmal schools, roads and police, among other public services to go with. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Our net increases in taxes here more than makes up for what private school tuition would be down there.

We bucked the trend and couldn’t be happier.

10. March 27, 2014 at 2:23 pm Michelle Wheeler responds:

What people are not talking about but needs to is that the increase in the refugee population is also causing an increase in the infestation of bed bugs. These refugees come over here either with the bed bugs or without the communication skills to know how to prevent them. We have seen an overwhelming increase in bed bug cases. We have a difficult time getting the agency’s assistance in prevention, it is even difficult to btain a translator to explain to them how to prepare for a treatment. What can we do?

11. When it comes to school segregation, I bet it has more to do with income than race. People don’t like living by poor people. Everyone who can afford to leaves poor areas for more affluent areas. No one wants to live around poor people even if they are the same race as them.

12. I would certainly prefer to leave the Rochester area. Family is what keeps me here. Who will take care of my elderly parents? I have lived here my entire life….63 years. Employment was plentiful during my life. Kodak, B&L, Zerox, Gleasons, Hickey Freeman, and the list goes on. Where are they now? Today, the jobs are mostly Education , health care, and government. These are not income generating jobs to the economy, these are jobs that require public funds. Eventually, there will not be enough workers paying taxes to support these government workers. You mentioned immigration has helped to keep our population stable. My question has always been why do immigrants come to Rochester? Why are there so many children in the RCSD that do not speak English? When we had jobs years ago I could understand, but why now? I can only guess it is because of the social services and welfare benefits available in NYS and especially Rochester. Am I missing something?

13. It probably is the welfare state that NY has become. Has anyone else noticed all the out of sate plates (usually from the south) in Rochester neighborhoods.

14. Pingback: The Rochesterian