New Jersey offered a whopping $39.5 million grant to Valeant to make the move. The company has 274 jobs in Bridgewater right now. Moving the headquarters will add another 500 jobs.
Meanwhile, after B+L laid off 400 people in Rochester as part of this headquarters shuffle, New York State offered the company about $12 million in incentives to get B+L to manufacture a contact lens line in Rochester and hire 100 people back. Rochester Gas & Electric chipped in $1 million.
DOES ANY OF THIS MAKE SENSE?
Congress should outlaw these kinds of bribes that harm communities, workers and taxpayers.
Links of the Day:
– Can someone explain to me why I-Square is getting a $2 million state grant? This project has already started construction, meaning the bank awarded financing based on a plan that did not include these funds. If there are changes or cost overruns, shouldn’t the public have been told? And why do we have to foot the bill? See the full list of Regional Economic Development Council pork here.
– Rush-Henrietta’s superintendent wrote an amazing letter spelling out why tax breaks for malls are not economic development.
– Wilmorite head Tom Wilmot wants to build a casino in Seneca County.
– Rochester developer David Flaum wants to build a casino in Albany, as well as Henrietta and the Catskills.
– Governor Cuomo is against legalizing pot, but the movement among lawmakers is growing.
– City Councilman Adam McFadden was shot as a teen gang member.
– I’ve become a big fan of CBS This Morning. It’s an actual news show – by design.
– A mystery manuscript found in Rochester was written by a black man in the Auburn prison in the 1850s.
– Megyn Kelly assures everyone Santa is white. Um, Santa isn’t real.
Quote of the Day:
— Rachel Barnhart (@rachbarnhart) December 12, 2013
Picture of the Day:
— Claire Talbot (@ClaireTalbot59) December 12, 2013