A major project has been proposed on Rochester’s riverfront downtown. Think about how Erie Harbor and Corn Hill Landing have transformed the waterfront. Now comes Morgan Management’s plan to build a $20 million, 100-unit luxury complex right behind Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, according to the Rochester Business Journal.
This is a big deal for several reasons. First, it totally transforms what is now desolate riverfront space. Second, it will enhance a riverfront promenade planned by the city. (The waterway access would still be public.) Third, along with the planned skatepark, it could effectively kill any plans to re-water the old Erie Canal downtown.
Judging from the map above, it appears the complex would go in the area outlined in blue. The city had planned a park near the old Subway entrance. RBJ reports Morgan Management will have underground parking near the entrance.
Morgan Management is also involved in the redo of Midtown Tower and the controversial new apartment complex proposal on University Ave. behind the Eastman House. The RBJ reports the company will submit site plans to the city soon for the riverfront proposal. I’m sure there will be a lot of questions and a lot more information to come.
Links of the Day:
– Xerox may have an employee morale problem. The CEO gets poor marks from workers.
– Rochester was a winner in the Census’ new definition of metro areas.
– Gun rights advocates often point out illegal guns are the ones most often used in crime. So why are they discouraging the use of a year-old tip line?
– A closer look at the criticisms of New York Safe gun control law.
– The Albany Times Union obtained incredible video of a deadly police shooting.
– Rochester should not allow College Town to black out windows on Elmwood Ave.
– Rochester’s Elmwood Ave. and Mt. Hope area used to be lined with beautiful trees.