– A downtown intersection I drive every single day will close for three months.

That’s okay.

Broad, Chestnut and Court streets are not in good shape. The intersection is extremely unattractive and confusing intersection for drivers unfamiliar with the area. The roadwork will improve travel and beautify the area, helping HSBC Plaza and the development of Midtown Plaza.

I really love roundabouts.

The Plymouth and Ford rotary is fantastic. It’s nice-looking. You no longer have to wait at traffic lights.

I don’t get the angst about these things. They work well, keep traffic moving, and can be quite attractive.

– Turns out, Assemblyman David Gantt sponsored parent trigger legislation last year. It was reintroduced last month. (Hat tip to Flower City Parents blog.)

– More people aren’t cutting the cord because of regional sports networks.

– SUNY Oswego is full of myths and legends. Which ones are true?

13 Responses to I Love Roundabouts!

1. Wow. I didn’t think there was anyone else who loved RoundAbouts as much as me… If you have ever done significant driving in Europe, you know that these things are really really smart. They save time, gas and frustration. When we lived in Washington, DC, they only had them on the MD side of the city – and I loved them. I love the RoundAbouts they put in on the way to the Lake near Sea Breeze… This is great news.

2. I am old enough to remember a Rochester roundabout that was dismantled, due to the high volume of accidents. It was located at the corner of St. Paul Street and East Ridge Road. The problem was the traffic merging from Ridge Road, St. Paul Street and St. Paul Blvd. I remember taking a deep breath as my father tried to get into the busy circle from St. Paul Street. Hopefully, any roundabout in the downtown area will be skillfully engineered in such a way as to avoid accidents.

3. March 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm Mittens responds:

Roundabouts are great… for the suburbs. Just another way to kill the urbanism of our downtown.

• March 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm Carlos Mercado responds:

Mittens, things like roundabouts, rotarys, traffic circles serve to calm traffic and keep it moving at a slower pace. We learned the hard way that one of the best ways to kill an urban area is to speed traffic through and away from it. And, I go to church right by that intersection, and it is not a high traffic area. I think the rotary will work just fine.

4. March 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm RaChaCha responds:

@Ray What you’re talking about was a traffic circle — roundabouts have different rules and design, making them inherently safer. And where they can be used, they’re the safest way for 2 roads to intersect — any collisions that do occur are almost always limited to property damage, as opposed to injury/death accidents at traditional intersections.

More info on the difference here:

5. I grew up and learned to drive in the UK so I love roundabouts too. But the ones I really enjoy are the magic roundabouts like this one (one big one with lots of mini roundabouts around the outside) that you can drive clockwise and anti-clockwise around: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Hemel_Hempstead)

6. March 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm RaChaCha responds:

@Rachel Original plans for the Plymouth roundabout included public art in the center. Did you ever see Pepsy Kettavong’s cool proposal (jazzy, more appropriately)–? I understood it was going to be built — don’t know why it wasn’t.

7. March 10, 2012 at 5:43 pm Debby Baker responds:

I live in Point Pleasant in Irondequoit and I have to say, that every single time I get on the roundabouts, I say “Weeee’ (I’m 55 mind you). And you must sing ‘Roundabout’ by Yes..LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xql99I1VSdI

It’s a rule. 🙂

8. Roundabouts are a lot better that four way stop signs. However, the first time you encounter one and the traffic is miserable and you are driving on the left side of the road, it is a bit scary. My first time was in Limerick City and it took half dozen circles to get off!

9. March 10, 2012 at 7:25 pm Don Cameron responds:

Go to roundabout.com for everything you ever wanted to know. I would like to know the before/after accident record of 590. Ihave not heard of any since they went in.

10. Rachael you are probably too young to remember the one at St Paul St it was a mess whenever Kodak shifts were changing one fender bender and you were grid locked .
    Ask your parents they will remember

11. March 16, 2012 at 7:31 pm ScottB responds:

Modern roundabouts are the safest form of intersection in the world. Visit http://www.iihs.org for FAQs and safety facts.
    If you want to see the difference between a traffic circle, a rotary (UK roundabout) and a modern roundabout, search http://www.k-state.edu to see pictures. http://www.fhwa.dot.gov has a video about modern roundabouts that is mostly accurate (http://tinyurl.com/3hjrqus ).