— VisitBuffaloNiagara (@BuffaloNiagara) December 18, 2014
Hundreds of skaters flood the ice at the grand opening of The Ice at Canalside. pic.twitter.com/ejnsoojUF3
— Derek Gee (@DerekGeePhoto) December 19, 2014
Rochester, this could be us.
We also have a canal and a river downtown. But all we’ve managed to build over the last decade is Corn Hill Landing, which is a great place to have dinner, go for a summer stroll and watch the fireworks. It’s no main attraction, however.
Last week, the Democrat and Chronicle rehashed the idea from Broad Street Underground to turn the aqueduct into a mall. Yes, a mall. Like we don’t already have a daunting task to fill up retail space at Sibley and Midtown. Even worse, this half-baked plan includes a tunnel between the Blue Cross Arena and the convention center. “Gee I wish there was an underground walkway so I can get from my luncheon to the hockey game,” said no one ever.
There are people who’ve long wanted to rewater the aqueduct. We’d literally flood Broad Street. The restored canal would run to Jay Street. It would unite with the existing canal. Ice skate in the winter, dock your boat in the summer. Maybe apartments would go up along the waterway. Maybe people would want to sit outside and have dinner along waterfront patios.
It sounds completely insane. Like really, really crazy.
Until you see what they did in Buffalo.
@BNHarrington I bet! Right now all I can think about is how Rochester missed the boat (pun intended)
— Rachel Barnhart (@rachbarnhart) December 19, 2014
Links of the Day:
– Governor Cuomo had a sparring match with reporters over the timing of his fracking announcement that resembled “Who’s On First.”
– This map shows saturation of casinos in New York.
– Wegmans is among supermarkets sued over alleged baked good fraud.
– Amazing interactive map details our collective pitchfork-raising outrage in 2014.
– Hanukkah is beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
– People bought boxes of poop and were surprised when they found actual poop inside.
The Southern Tier is Angry:
— Jon Campbell (@JonCampbellGAN) December 18, 2014