On this Veterans Day, here’s a snapshot of the Rochester metropolitan area’s veteran population.
There are 62,832 veterans, down 9 percent from 2011.
– Gulf War II (2001 and later): 8 percent
– Gulf War I: 12 percent
– Vietnam: 36 percent
– Korean: 11 percent
– World War II: 9 percent
Many of our veterans are aging, with 28 percent over the age of 75.
Our veterans are financially more secure than non-veterans. They have a poverty rate of 7 percent, compared to 13 percent for non-veterans. They have a higher median income and lower unemployment rate.
One out of four veterans has a disability, compared to one out of seven for non-veterans.
Links of the Day:
– “Despite their sacrifices, and those of thousands more, all we have to show for it are two failed wars.”
– Today is the 220th Anniversary celebration of the Canandaigua Treaty.
– New car sales are way up in Monroe County.
– The Mormon church revealed founder Joseph Smith had 40 wives, some of whom were very young or already married.
– The Asian population is growing in Monroe County.
– Bats are hackers! Mexican free-tailed bats will jam other bats’ bio-sonar to steal food.