BlocksThe Democrat and Chronicle did an important story on daycare in the Rochester area. There are often long waiting lists and the cost of quality care is significant. Daycares are 79 percent full on average and it’s harder to find a spot for an infant. The article advises women to get on lists as soon as they find out they’re pregnant. Here’s an excerpt:

Experts say the high demand could be caused by several factors. Running a childcare center is expensive, so they’re not exactly on every street corner. More families have two parents working than a few years ago because home budgets are still tight. And the United States doesn’t provide institutional care the way that other countries do.

(snip)

In Rochester, four out of the five largest employers — Wegman’s, Rochester General, Xerox, and the Rochester City School District — do not offer any on-site day care.

The largest employer in the area, University of Rochester/Strong Memorial Hospital, has the Children’s School at University of Rochester Medical Center, available to anyone affiliated with the University of Rochester. There is currently a waiting list for the center.

(snip)

According to Child Care Council, average day care in Monroe County costs anywhere from $143 to $237 a week, depending on the type of care and the age of the child.

Should quality, affordable daycare be a right? Should government and employers do more to make it easier for working parents? Should daycare be institutionalized, similar to the public school system?

Rochester’s appetite for surveillance cameras is waning.

– Rep. Tom Reed had stomach surgery and lost a lot of weight.

“Gov. Cuomo wants to be leader of the free world, but he can’t even get along with Canada?”

– Good news: ABC will live-stream all of its content on mobile apps. Bad news: You’ll have to be a pay-TV subscriber.

Inside a Paris apartment that was untouched for 70 years.

17 Responses to Is Daycare a Right?

1. May 13, 2013 at 8:32 am Grace S responds:

In light of the train wreck the RCSD is, please leave them out of anything more involving children. They already fail miserably at their primary function.

2. May 13, 2013 at 8:49 am Booored...man...street responds:

How about if you can’t afford day care (and other childhood necessities), don’t have a kid!! It’s pretty simple.

3. I am a senior, so my comments are coming from my life experiences. The direct answer to your question is NO. I believe many of the issues facing our society today is the result of the breakdown of the family structure. If you want children, you need to care for them. Dropping them off at daycare should be a last resort, not a “right”. The proliferation of single moms is disturbing. As a society, we need to discourage not encourage the breakdown of the family structure. Just my thoughts….and I realize these thoughts are not politically correct.

4. Your children are YOUR responsibility. If you can’t afford to care for them yourself, don’t have them. And maybe instead of agitating for ever more government services, you should consider that the cost of all this government is part of the reason you have to work!

(NO, day care is not a right.)

5. May 13, 2013 at 10:35 am Derek Sanderson responds:

Regarding Cuomo and Canada. More proof of what a thug our current governor is.

6. May 13, 2013 at 11:23 am Peking Humonculous responds:

My wife and I are expecting. Due date is early November. I have no idea how we’re going to be able to afford day care- or even find one with a vacancy. But that is OUR problem to solve. We made the decision to have a kid. I’m not looking to the government or anyone else for a handout.

7. May 13, 2013 at 12:56 pm theodore kumlander responds:

the Paris link was so cool I would love to find something like that.

8. May 14, 2013 at 6:46 am John Moriello responds:

These days it feels as though everyone has “rights” except for those of us paying for everyone else’s “rights.”

9. May 14, 2013 at 7:08 am Elizabeth responds:

As a mother of 3 – daycare is not a right. They are my children and my responsibility!

10. May 14, 2013 at 8:22 am JoeyFlowers responds:

Everyone knows (or at least ought to) that the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness was never meant for poor people! What are they thinking presuming to have children of their own? It makes me sick!
    We as a society have a duty to do all that we can to discourage those who cannot afford to pay for daycare from breeding. Obviously, the only decent thing to do is to take away any and all assistance that these despicable poor people may be hoping to receive. So remember, folks, the next time you’re unlucky enough to come across someone who has less than you, make sure to turn away with all the disgust you can muster. Let them know that their “poorness” will not be tolerated in our society.

• June 4, 2013 at 2:58 pm Tortoise40 responds:

“Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

Every word there is very carefully chosen. It would have been far simpler to write, “Life, liberty, and happiness.” But it wasn’t, because we have not been endowed by our Creator with a right to happiness. We have, however, been given a right to pursue happiness. This means, if we have the ability to purchase a service, such as day care, the government should not stand in our way, as that would interrupt our pursuit. It does not mean that government should attempt to ensure our happiness by taking from others to give us things we have not earned.

11. May 14, 2013 at 9:10 am lynn e responds:

Daycare is needed and important for the health of the country as a whole. Poverty is another thing affecting childcare and employment. We can’t afford the level of poverty in this country and that children live in.

12. May 14, 2013 at 9:34 am Chey responds:

One in 7 adults and 1 in 4 children receive food stamps today. It is not that we turn away with repugnance from those in need. The problem as I see it is that this administration is creating dependents for political gain. The push for universal day care (that’s really what this is about) is just another step toward full-blown socialism. Can the private sector cure social ills? Absolutely; but government programs and policies interfere with that ability. (For instance, President Obama has four times sought to limit the amount of charitable donations that can be deducted for tax purposes. Why?)

13. May 14, 2013 at 1:41 pm bill responds:

Has anyone thought of the well being of the children? While I don’t mean to disparage the care daycare workers give, is it fair for children to be taken to day care 5 times a week? These are children, not inconviences that I need someone to occupy for 8+ hours a day. So put me down as someone against daycare as a right. I don’t think its fair to the children. I don’t think middle or upper class families should do it either, should it even be called a family if the parents aren’t doing the lion’s share of caregiving? If you say I’m callous to the poor, I’d rather people practiced a bit of family planning and not have children unless they could care for them. But I’d rather see extra be given to people so the mother or father could stay home with the kids rather than subsidize daycare.

14. Pingback: Day Care vs Child Care | Education Accountability for Rochester Schools

15. May 24, 2013 at 11:21 am Andreas Rau responds:

Certainly, having children is the “right” of the two people in question.
    But rights often include responsibilities.
    In this case, it is the responsibility of the parents to maintain their children and provide a family environment for them, NOT the government’s.
    Unfortunately, too many people have gotten it into their heads that they can do as they please and let society pick up the tab for their actions. Curiously enough, they complain that government interferes with their “rights” to do as they please and throw caution and foresight into the winds.
    What about the rest of us, who have shown some restraint and prudence? We are expected to willingly pick up the tab for those who opted for instant gratification and damned the consequences.
    We now have a proliferation of children born to unwed mothers, some of them mere girls, being raised in single-parent households or extended family households with nobody choosing to take responsibility for their own choices.
    Virtually everyone knows HOW to make babies. They also know how NOT to make them.
    What they don’t seem to care about is what they are supposed to do once those babies are here.
    But that is not our fault.
    Nor is it the government’s job to provide day care as a “right.”

16. June 4, 2013 at 3:14 pm Tortoise40 responds:

This word “right” is thrown around far to nonchalantly. I have a right to property, so the government will punish my neighbor if he tries to steal my car. I have a right to life and liberty, so the government will punish my neighbor if he kills or kidnaps me. Would it not then follow that if I have a right to day care, the government could force my neighbor to watch my kids five days a week? Discussing whether a society should force some of its citizens to pay for services for others seems perfectly reasonable. Discussing whether receiving someone else’s services is a right is ridiculous on its face.