Dear Roc Royal,
I had never heard of you until your music group, Mindless Behavior, took over a Twitter hashtag that’s important to my fair city.
The problem is all of your followers retweet you thousands of times, clogging up the #ROC Twitter feed. This is an important feed to Rochester residents. While some Rochesterians tweet about what they ate for lunch (garbage plates, naturally), other people tweet news, information, pictures and items of interest to the broad community.
In addition to breaking news, we need this feed to know if it’s raining, if there’s traffic, if there’s an earthquake (it happens), if there’s a new exhibit at MAG, if my favorite restaurants have specials and if the mayor said something funny today (he does that on occasion).
I realize there’s no way to legally register a hashtag. If we could, Rochesterians would have a good case.
1. We were here first. The first settlers came in 1812.
2. Our airport’s code is ROC.
3. Our daily newspaper has 1,245 sections that start with ROC.
4. The first three letters of Rochester start with ROC.
5. The names of all new businesses and young professional groups start with ROC.
6. You may have more followers than we have residents within city limits, but we kick your butt when you include the entire Rochester region.
7. We rock.
Thank you for consideration.