• Join 492 other subscribers

A letter went home to parents of students at School #46. Apparently, there was a melee at the 6th grade graduation ceremony among parents and arrests were made. The school had to go into lockdown and kids had to eat lunch in class.

The letter reads in part:

The reception following our Sixth-Grade Moving Up Ceremony was disrupted by four parents involved in an altercation with each other. The Rochester Police Department was called and the parents were arrested. Pepper spray was used by used by the parents in the situation. No students were injured.

(snip)

This is not the way any of us wanted to end our school year.

The letter came to me from a parent whose son attends the school. I’m curious what started this and the charges. Read the letter below:

20120621-215126.jpg

10 Responses to What a Way to End the School Year

1. June 21, 2012 at 11:37 pm Pam Erwin responds:

I I’m appalled with what is happening to our educational system pertaining to the behavior of parents and students toward teachers. People no longer show respect toward others, and when bad behavior occurs nothing is done about it. There are no consequences. I hear more and more of uncivilized behavior not only in schools but almost everywhere. The language used, and the denial that any occurrences of these uncivilized behaviors is very alarming. I’ve lived seven decades and am shocked at what I’ve been seeing in fashion being promoted toward the young. The negative messages on radio, TV, and movies and the rest of the entertainment world promoting such negative behaviors. Maybe I was brought up in a “fairy tale world”, but it sure was more refined, polished and genteel. I was brought up to be respectful and civilized.

2. June 22, 2012 at 9:22 am lynn e responds:

Fighting is highly valued in some communities and counted as fun. I don’t quite get it but if you win, you are admired at least for a short time. Shootings and not snitching are part of this culture and it isn’t always the city.

3. There’s that “lockdown” jail term being used again.

For 14yrs., I lived 2 doors away from school #46 on Dorchester Rd. and saw the place go from a prized nieghborhood elementary school to just another average one.

I had a city job which required a city residence. I quit the city because when I remarried I had to bring my step children into the city schools, #46 and east High.

I told my new wife that everything would be OK because my 2 kids, at #46 and East, we mot having any probelems.

The kids at East and #46 ate my step-children alive. My step son didn’t want to go to #46 where he was being merclessly picked on as an outsider from Webster.

I told him to make friends with the biggest kid he could find at #46 and start hanging around with him. He did and they started leaving him alone.

My step daughter over at East was trnasformed into a sneering Kiss tee-shirted urbanite within a week. Her mom was not impressed. We asked her why she had changed her look and she said so that she wouldn’t be picked on by the other kids.

She wasn’t eligible for homors but rather put into Regents so she didn’t have the protection of the 100 or so segregated honors students who went to skiing on Friday nights and played on the tennis team.

Then my daw started fluking honors English. I wanted to put her into Regents english and she told me “Dad, don’t do that. Regents isn’t like when yo went to AQ in the ’60’s.

I got permission to audit a Regents english class at east. Sat in the back just before class statrted. It took the teacher about 5-10 minutes to get the classroom to come to order. They didn’t care a lick that a stranger was sitting in the back of the room.

Well, that was it. I quit the city and we moved to Brighton, the part that’s in the Penfield school system. I sent my daw up to her mother’s in West Iron where she went to W. Iron. HS.

Funny, all our problems disappeared.

4. June 22, 2012 at 12:31 pm theodore kumlander responds:

i was the head custodian there for 3 years what a great school.

5. June 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm Jethro Maddox responds:

A free-for-all is a fine thing for sixth graders to experience. This will make men out of them, put a little hair on their chests. We overprotect our youngins. All this whiney hand wringin about normal rites of passage. It is turnin us into a nation of sissies.

6. I guess it’s a little unfair to expect your children to behave at school when the adults can’t even control themselves… Society is just ass-backwards these days. When is it going to stop?

7. June 24, 2012 at 11:46 am theodore kumlander responds:

ben i was there in the late 80’s there was one lock down a student brought a bag of bullets to school and gave them to the principle because his father had said he was going to come to the school and kill the students teacher. the lock down was ended after the police located and arrested the father.

but that was the exception not the rule it was the best school i worked at staff parents teachers and adminstrators all got along and it was a happy place.

• Actually. my kids up to 3rd grade didn’t have any problems at all at #46. It was my stepson who came in from Webster’s Bay Trail Elementary who had a hard time making the transition. It was mostly during letting out at the end of day on the big sidewalk from the main entrance when the bussers mixed it up with the locals.

I think the school staggered the bus shifts from the locals as a solution.

My girl and boy were put into the Major Achievement Program after 3rd grade in order to get them out of there and send them off to schools like #49, the Hendrix Hudson School on Humbolt and the one over in the Park Ave. neighborhood at Berkley and Milburn.

You never knew what school they were going to send the Browncroft MAP kids to. Once they proposed #4 over on Frost on the westside which would have added about 1 hour total to each kid’s daily bus rides. That led influential Browncroftians to get the RCSD to switch the #46 MAP feeder to Hendrix Hudson.

It was that experience which convinced me the goal of MAP was more to help meet overall integration quota balances than academic achievment.

My criticism of the City school system was not appreciated by my colleagues at the city nor many of the Browncroft neighbors.

My new wife from Webster was not impressed with what she was seeing for her own kids. And, I began to see that I had one shot only regarding my kids education and I took action and high-tailed it.

A while later at the Little I met one of the activist moms in the Browncroft neighborhood and she admitted to me that I was right about East High, anyway. If you were’nt in the Honors Program over there, you just were’nt.

8. July 9, 2012 at 8:18 am neighborhood resident responds:

Yea…

Keep busing in those kids from all parts of the city with parents who don’t care what there kids are doing and don’t know how to behave and act as role models to their own children. Used to be school 46 was the reason people moved into our neighborhood. Nowadays most parents move out about the time their kids start school. Why put up with all the “crap” at school 46. I say we just close it down and re-open one of those schools closed on the west side. I for one won’t miss it! What a sad outcome for what was once a great school. Charles Carroll is probably rolling over in his grave!