A new report from Brookings Institution found manufacturing is slowly gaining in Rochester after years of decline.
We care about manufacturing jobs because they are higher wage and a big part of the economy. In Rochester, manufacturing specialties include information technology, chemical products and machinery.
– Rochester has 59,738 manufacturing jobs, ranking it 34th in the country.
– Of all the jobs in Rochester, 12 percent are manufacturing jobs, ranking the area 11th in the country.
– Rochester lost an astounding 42 percent of its manufacturing jobs since 1980.
– In the last year, Rochester saw a gain of 1.8 percent in manufacturing jobs, below the national average of 2.7 percent.
– One-third of Rochester manufacturing jobs are “moderately high tech,” ranking the area 5th in the country.