- Wegmans appears to have lost the fight to get wine in grocery stores – for now. Governor Andrew Cuomo is not in favor of the measure and he’s too powerful to buck. The Democrat and Chronicle reports:
Since 2009, Wegmans has spent millions on a statewide marketing and lobbying campaign advocating this change. This year, Wegmans officials said, the company has backed off on spending in consideration of the governor’s negative views on the subject.
(Cuomo) appeared to take the position of the traditionally powerful liquor store lobby, which for more than 30 years has fended off the supermarkets and convenience stores with the argument that the change would be devastating to small business.
Assemblyman Joseph Morelle, D-Irondequoit, who has co-sponsored grocery wine legislation, said the proposal isn’t on Cuomo’s agenda, which he said is the prime mover in Albany legislative affairs these days.
So it looks like this issue won’t come up again for a long while.
- A Syracuse woman’s abdomen caught fire during a C-section. She’s suing.
- The key for cities like Rochester to getting more property tax money is to develop their downtowns.
- How can a blue state like New York elect a red senate? An amazing graphic from the New York Times explains it.
- A Rochester woman recycles shoes…with glitter.
- Good to see Kodak still has its sense of humor. I’m sure no one in this “product division” was laid off recently.